Sunday, September 27, 2009

First Post, First Kit, How Exciting!!!

I am so excited and more than a little nervous to be releasing my very first scrap kit!

I'm new to the digital scrap booking scene, but am loving it! I previously designed stationary and tags for IncrediMail, but stepped away from any graphic work for a few years. I was married in May and decided I wanted to create a scrapbook with our wedding photos. Well I almost fainted in the aisle of Michael's when I realized how much it would cost me to do 20 or so scrap pages. In looking for less expensive sources on-line I came across digital scrap booking. I quickly decided it was time to brush the cobwebs off the old PSP.

Since I used to participate in several stationary groups on Yahoo I knew there had to be groups out there for digital scrap booking. I came across "Digital Scrapbook Freebies" and the price sounded right, so I joined. I'm so glad I did! One of the first sites I came across while chasing down freebies was NumbBumm's. The kit was just gorgeous. I loved the realistic look of the elements. The kit had been created for KimB's color challenge at DigiScrap Obsession. After going through the color challenge thread and downloading every kit they had... I was hooked.

Kim's work is just gorgeous. To this day her Mezzaluna kit is the only kit I've ever actually spent money on. *lol* I just had to have the posting bonus she wa offering, so it was time to start participating. Last month I did a lay-out and then I did another this month. But some little bee got under my bonnet and I decided to attempt a kit myself. What was I thinking?

Seriously... hats off to all of the designers out there. I had no idea how hard this was. It is way more work than you can imagine. It has taken me all month to come up with this tiny little kit. First you have to find CU products. Then you have to do something with them. The TOUs are all different and some just utterly confusing. I'm terrified I've used something incorrectly and someone is going to write a blog about me. *lmao* Then if you are obsessive like me and want more you start searching free use photos and extracting embellishments yourself. Then if you are really a glutton for punishment, you start photographing the contents of your jewelry box, your Grandma's button tin, the flowers in your garden, and the flowers in the neighbor's garden. The extraction is easy compared to getting just the right lighting, just the right angle, and perfect focus on your item.

We went to the Renaissance Fair last weekend and I was photographing all of the flowers in the little gardens they have dotted about. I'm sure people wondered what the heck the crazy woman was doing down on her knees with a camera up in some flower's face. My husband just laughed. He knows I'm insane.

OK... enough jabbering... here is my very first freebie scrap kit, "Tiffany Twisted".



23 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Sky! You did a great job on your blog and I love your kit. I'm the first to post and download it. Yayyy! LOL. This is beautiful and thanks for your share!
    Huggies,
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic use of the CC, Sky. Thank you so much 4 sharing. A big welcome back to the designing community 2. Congrats on your wedding & best wishes on making you're Wedding Book. I am sure it will be just as gorgeous as you mini TT.
    mwah
    Huggins
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your FIRST kit? Serious? Jeeez! It´s gorgeous! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a beautiful job for your first kit. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful kit - can't believe it is your first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible debut! I can't wait for more!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new blog.

    Thank you fo much for this wonderful kit. Keep up the good work.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job on your first kit, thanks for sharing. Digital scrapping is great fun and there are so many wonderful designers and sites out there, you will surely get hooked. People think I'm crazy too when I take photos of flowers, cement, rugs, ice cubes thrown in grass etc. etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your contribution to the dso color chalenge. Love what you made. The frame, grunge papers, flowercluster are awesome. I can see you put a lot of hard work in it. It's just marvelous for a first kit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 5 post on Sep. 29, 2009. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. seriously???? lol, Mezzaluna??- OMG, Thanks sooo much GF! And let me tell you- this is one fantastic first kit! You did a really great job with the elements and the whole *togetherness* of it. I love the *moody feel* too!
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow i love the kit, it's awesome, go gorgeous. And what beautiful colors you used for your site. Wishing you the best of luck with your new site. And looking forward to seeing more of your great creations

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so proud! Your blog looks gorgeous!!! Thanks for the kudos & letting me know. Have bookmarked you.

    Numbbumm Sue

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the colors of this kit too..thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just discovered your blog, love the layout, the colors and the kits. Keep them coming!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 25 Oct [LA 06:10pm, NY 08:10pm] - 26 Oct [UK 01:10am, OZ 12:10pm] ).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely marvelous first kit! I like the marble paper!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I started reading through your blog and was amazed to see that it is a fairly new blog and I am amazed at your designing talent considering how new you are to this. I am so impressed....really. LOL
    Thanks for sharing. I love antiques and so, of course, I LOVE this kit.
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fabulous...love the colours...have just recently started digi scrapbooking and I'm loving it...must find a photo that will do your kit justice!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the lovely free kits. They're fantastic and so great that you're giving them away. I have five girls and just can't afford to buy this kind of thing, but I do love to scrap their photos and your kits will make them more special. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Simply gorgeous! Love this loads! Many thanks for this gorgeous kit, very much appreciated. xx

    ReplyDelete